Automation Specialist - Production APPLY NOW
The Canadian Shield is a national leader in Medical PPE manufacturing that is investing heavily in automation to become a globally competitive player in the field. Our team answered the call to retool in March and in just under a month grew from 10 to 150, secured contracts for 11M face shields, opened a 50,000 sqft facility and manufactured 1M face shields. Since then, we’ve invested in expanding our production to ASTM rated medical masks and are now one of the largest and most cost competitive manufacturers in the country. With continued investment in automation, The Canadian Shield will be globally competitive on cost and quality with overseas manufacturers to deliver medical masks to frontline healthcare workers around the world.
We’re looking for high torque, agile thinkers that are eager to play a pivotal role in the building of a new export industry in Canada. To be the right fit to join our team, you’ll need to be ready for a dynamic workload, a tight knit team environment and lofty goal setting.
As an Automation Specialist with The Canadian Shield, you’ll use your developed skills as a problem solver to drive consistent improvement in our automation systems, you will be adept at identifying high speed automation defects and trigger events. With vast materials and methods experience you are equipped to design improvements that provide sustainable resolution. Through coaching and work instruction creation you will equip the maintenance teams with the skills and controls to set up, recognize and resolve common automation problems.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide leadership and support of key projects relating to equipment and process automation
- Lead the installation and commissioning of new equipment or upgrades in compliance with safety and environmental regulations
- Oversee external contractors as required on projects, equipment maintenance or upgrades
- Work with production, engineering, maintenance and management teams to improve efficiency, reliability, and quality on production equipment
- Program, maintain, and troubleshoot PLC programs and HMIs
- Prepare technical documentation such as operating and training manuals.
- Performs wiring checkout, system start-ups programming, utilizing commissioning tools
- Complete final critical adjustments calibration and commissioning reports on systems following installation and preliminary set up
- Liaison with engineering department on all equipment modifications
- Create and maintain documentation to support manufacturing changes, assembly procedures, change-over procedures, QA procedures and Manufacturing Execution System (MES)
- Assisting sales & marketing departments with product requirements for the creation of graphics and other assets as required
- Drive down process induced scrap using effective problem solving techniques.
- Provide coaching and technical input to the preventative maintenance team
- With your developed skills as a problem solver you will drive improvement in today's automation solutions, you will be adept at identifying high speed automation defects and trigger events.
- Using your automation mechanical and controls knowledge you will design and implement highly effective improvements that will improve uptime, reduce defects and scrap.
- You have the skills to analyze Manufacturing data, identifying trends and trigger events, you will use the same data analysis skills to verify your improvements.
- With vast materials and methods experience you are equipped to design improvements that provide sustainable resolution to problems.
- You will progressively roll out and standardize your improvements to institutionalize your changes and maximize business benefits.
- Your solutions will supplement the design guidelines on every new automation solution.
- You have the ability to conduct controlled and statistically relevant experiments in support of your problem solving.
- Through coaching and work instruction creation you will equip the maintenance teams with the skills and controls to set up, recognize and resolve common automation problems.
- Minimum of 3 to 4 years of relevant work experience related to industrial automation
- Degree or Diploma from an accredited post-secondary institution. Programs of study would include: Robotic Technician, Electrical Engineering, Bachelor of Technology, Industrial Automation, Mechatronics, Industrial Controls and others.
- Ability to function effectively in a fast paced team environment, set priorities, and meet prescribed deadlines with minimal supervision
- Technical communication skills both verbal and written
- Great debugging, problem solving, and troubleshooting skills
- Able to collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams across the organization
- Able to read and understand mechanical drawings and electrical schematics
- Broad knowledge of process automation
- Good knowledge of lean manufacturing and continuous improvement principles
- Familiar with quality and manufacturing standards such as ISO, ANSI, ASTM, EN
Other Relevant Qualifications:
- Experience with PPE (personal protective equipment) product development and manufacturing
- Design of Experiments experience
- Predictive maintenance techniques.
- Process Data mining and statistical analysis
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Discounted or free food
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Vision care
|||Waterloo, ON |||Production||||||Q~7hgjb~XTbkhVhK|||FULL_TIME|||CAD|||HOUR|||single||||||||||||false