Financial Controller (InkSmith & The Canadian Shield - Full-Time)
About the Job:
InkSmith, and newly formed affiliate company, The Canadian Shield, are looking for a business-oriented Financial Controller with experience in Manufacturing to ensure the accounting and financial aspects of the organization are running as well as our PPE production is. The ideal candidate will be someone who thrives in a fast-paced, team environment with a strong attention to detail.
What You’ll Do:
Financial Statements, Accounting & Internal Control
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial statements accompanied by variance analysis and forward-looking commentary, presenting results to management
- Perform and/or oversee all transactions related to general ledger, receivables, and payables
- Perform bank and credit card reconciliations
- Ensure proper credit limits are established and timely collection of outstanding customer balances
- Ensure payments to suppliers are made on-time for approved purchases
- Oversee payroll updates and processing, working with our outside payroll company
- Prepare and submit all employer tax returns and statements (ie, GST/HST, EHT, WSIB)
- Work with external accounting firm to prepare year end statements and tax returns
- Lead creation of best practices and internal control processes both in accounting/finance and across the business
Financial Planning & Analysis
- Prepare cash flow projections and provide insights to management to direct business decisions
- Regularly review demand forecast from sales and supply plan from production to ensure financial projections incorporate accurate numbers and aligned assumptions
- Support management to create realistic budgets and scenarios
- Drive accurate cost calculations for production and support pricing decisions for existing products and new product launches
Other – Business Support & Analysis
- Support leadership to define, implement and track company KPIs and functional department metrics
- Support creation and submission of proposals for various funding grants, managing claim submissions as required
- Manage company insurance policies to ensure proper coverage for a growing and evolving business
- Calculate and communicate sales commissions payable
- Manage and coach team member(s)
- Leverage existing or implement new tools, systems, and processes to add efficiency to operations both in accounting/finance as well as across the business
- Support other teams with compliance reporting, as needed
What You Will Bring:
- Passion for understanding the numbers, what they mean and how our business can grow
- 5-8 years of hands-on accounting & finance experience
- Manufacturing experience, hands-on understanding of cost calculations, inventory management, etc
- CPA Designation
- Excellent communication - both written and verbal. Experience preparing and presenting reports for leadership, funders or boards.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze a business and understand key drivers of revenue and operating efficiency.
- Proficiency in Excel, pivot tables and Microsoft Office as well as accounting software packages
- Nice to have: Experience working in a high-growth, fast-paced start-up environment
About InkSmith & The Canadian Shield
At the core, InkSmith is a mission-driven company with a focus on both education and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in Canada. Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, InkSmith was solely an education technology company at the forefront of 21st-century learning and digital innovation in the edtech space. When the team at InkSmith learned about the PPE shortage in Ontario, they quickly pivoted to using their 3D printers and laser cutters, previously destined for education, to manufacture and produce face shields for local frontline healthcare workers.
After a short few days of rapid prototyping, InkSmith had designed and tested a fully reusable PPE face shield, aptly named ‘The Canadian Shield’. Having been approved for a Health Canada license to produce the shield, InkSmith moved to full-scale mass manufacturing in order to meet the demand for PPE in Ontario and the rest of Canada.
InkSmith’s new affiliate company, The Canadian Shield, has now moved operations to a 50,000 sq ft facility in Waterloo to accommodate the organization’s growth. InkSmith credits the success of The Canadian Shield to their experience in the edtech sector, which centred around teaching students how to problem solve and giving them the tools to create effective solutions. It was this understanding that enabled InkSmith to pivot and adapt despite the difficulties faced by many businesses during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Canadian Shield is now focused on the long-term commitment of bringing PPE manufacturing back to Canada. The goal is to be in a position where our healthcare industry is no longer reliant on global supply chains to keep our frontline workers safe. On the education side, InkSmith is focused on providing students and educators with the tools and skills they’ll need to succeed in our changing world. InkSmith hopes to inspire and be an example to show how innovation, digital skills, and problem-solving can be used to make a monumental impact in our world today.
How to Apply:
Please email your resumé and cover letter to: